In the high-spirited world of Major League Soccer (MLS), Atlanta United FC shines brightly. From their entry into the MLS in 2017, Atlanta United FC has set the pitch on fire with exceptional talent, powerful rivalries, and an electric stadium atmosphere that is unparalleled.
Painting the Town Red, Black, and Gold
A fervent energy swirls around Atlanta United FC as they have quickly painted their legacy with red, black, and gold. Just two years into their journey, they clinched the MLS Cup in 2018, demonstrating their prowess and ambition. Their meteoric rise in the MLS is not just a testament to their robust line-up of players but also a testament to their passionate supporters who’ve turned Atlanta into a soccer city.
Journeying Through Talent Galore
Atlanta United FC’s short history is already peppered with stars from across the globe. The club’s first signing, Argentine winger Hector Villalba, previously of San Lorenzo, set the tone for attracting international talent. Then, of course, who can forget the spellbinding stint of Josef Martinez? The Venezuelan striker, who had his roots at Torino in Italy, broke MLS scoring records and won the MLS MVP award in 2018.
Other prominent names include the likes of Miguel Almiron, now dazzling at Newcastle United, and Ezequiel Barco, a vibrant attacking midfielder from Argentina. This assembly of global stars has given fans thrilling game nights and set a high benchmark for the future.
The Spirit of Competition: Rivalries and Beyond
Rivalries fuel the intensity of soccer, and Atlanta United FC is no stranger to them. In MLS, their Southern-fried feud with Orlando City SC is well-documented. Known as the “Southern Derby,” it keeps fans on the edge of their seats. Another notable rivalry is with New York Red Bulls, against whom Atlanta has had many a nail-biting encounter.
Beyond MLS, Atlanta United FC made its mark in the CONCACAF Champions League, where they faced teams like Club America from Mexico, demonstrating their ability to compete on a broader stage.
A Date with Destiny at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Now, about experiencing all this live? There’s no place like the Mercedes-Benz Stadium! The energy of 42,500 soccer fans is palpable, making it a carnival of soccer love. The ‘Supporters Section,’ priced around $35, provides an electric atmosphere as the most passionate fans lead chants and wave flags.
If you prefer a more relaxed vibe with a great view of the pitch, the ‘Club Section’ might be your best bet, with tickets ranging from $160 to $260. Finally, for the ultimate experience, the ‘Executive Suite,’ priced at around $5100, offers unparalleled luxury and exclusivity.
Next Stop: Atlanta United FC
For an unforgettable experience, you can’t go wrong with an Atlanta United FC game. So, why wait? Make your plans, grab your tickets, and prepare to be a part of something extraordinary. Whether you’re a seasoned soccer fan or someone seeking a dose of adrenaline-packed entertainment, Atlanta United FC is the place to be. Because in Atlanta, every game night is a celebration!
The Story Doesn’t End Yet
- Record Attendance: Atlanta United FC holds the record for the highest single-match attendance of any MLS game. The match against Orlando City SC in 2019 pulled in an astounding 72,548 fans. The team consistently ranks at the top in terms of average attendance per game, often surpassing 50,000.
- Ownership: The team is owned by Arthur Blank, co-founder of Home Depot, who also owns the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons. Both teams share Mercedes-Benz Stadium as their home ground.
- Academy Success: The Atlanta United Academy has been extremely successful in producing talent for the first team. George Bello, a product of the academy, has become a key player for the senior team and represents the U.S. at the international level.
- Stadium Features: The Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a state-of-the-art facility with a retractable roof. It also boasts the largest video board in the world – it’s 1,100 feet round and 58 feet tall!
- Community Involvement: Atlanta United FC is very involved in the local community. The team’s foundation, Atlanta United Foundation, invests in the infrastructure of the sport in the city, with initiatives like Station Soccer, which creates soccer fields in and around Atlanta’s transit stations.
- First Manager: The team’s first-ever manager was Gerardo “Tata” Martino, who had previously managed football powerhouses like FC Barcelona and the Argentina national team. Under his guidance, the team won the MLS Cup in 2018.
- Fastest to Reach Milestones: Atlanta United FC was the quickest MLS expansion team to reach the playoffs, achieve 70 points in a season, and win the MLS Cup.
- Crest Symbolism: The team’s crest is filled with symbolism. The circle represents Atlanta’s city seal and the city’s spirit of unity, determination, community, and excellence. The five stripes represent the five pillars of their character: unity, determination, community, excellence, and innovation.